Scribes of the DAMNED!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scribes of the DAMNED!

A forum for a few select writers who mostly work in horror, fantasy, and science fiction.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

PLOT POINTS: Part 1

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
High_Inquisitor

High_Inquisitor

PLOT POINTS: Part 1 Empty
PostSubject: PLOT POINTS: Part 1   PLOT POINTS: Part 1 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 1:22 pm

So...welcome to this new edition of something I would like to call "PLOT POINTS"! Here I go into brief details about some points of plot (hence the obvious name) and introduce some characters and what-not!

So, without further ado, here comes...

PLOT POINTS: Part 1!

Setting: Ebius Island -- a small island 70-80 miles off the coast of Antaea, the mainland. Ebius is a small tightly-knit farming/fishing community that is famous for their feared Gauntlet.

The Gauntlet: The Gauntlet is a test of character and strength as those who are at the culmination of their youth undertake a trial underneath the island itself in a series of caverns. Armed with nothing but their blade and wit, young men must reach the center where a single tree blooms. The blood-red leaves from this tree, when boiled in water, make for a very potent tea-like drink that induces hallucinations, almost forcing those that drink it to combat their fears.

Main Characters

Daesan Brydevi: Daesan is the oldest of two children in the Brydevi family on Ebius. He was never truly invited into the social "norm", but was befriended by Garreth (see below) and the two became close friends and rivals. At age thirteen, his father (Gendrick, a farmer and fisherman) began to teach him the ways of the blade in preparation for his Gauntlet. Despite not wanting to participate in the Gauntlet, Daesan becomes unnaturally skilled through his training.

At eighteen, Daesan undertakes his Gauntlet, but strangely Garreth undertakes his own at the same time. They battle their way to the tree together and Garreth drinks the tea. Daesan is about to but Garreth attacks in a fit of rage and hallucination. After blocking blow after blow, Garreth finally connects to Daesan and leaves a scar underneath his right eye. Daesan falls, leaving himself exposed to Garreth, but Garreth breaks down and throws away his blade before sitting down and sobbing. Disappointed with himself, Daesan exits the cave and sails away from Ebius in an act of self-exile.

Fast-forward three years or so, Daesan is now a mercenary that travels through Northwestern Antaea. He travels now to a new city (whose name I have yet to create) only to find that it's seemingly in a state of martial law. Daesan is arrested for exposing himself as a mercenary and is thrown in jail. Surprisingly, he is released after only a night; however, Daesan is even more surprised to see that Garreth is now captain of the guard...

Garreth (last name TBD) Garreth is an only child and (seemingly) the only true friend of Daesan. He and his family are one of the poorest on Ebius, but he makes up for it through his hard work and determination. At age thirteen, he too began to train for his Gauntlet, although not nearly as hard as Daesan had.

Through some fluke, Daesan and Garreth went into the Gauntlet together. After reaching their destination, Garreth began to brew the tea and he drank it. Succumbing to the delusions and hallucinations, he saw that Daesan had turned into a monster and began to attack him. However, when he finally had him pinned to the ground, the illusion dissipated and Garreth could see that he had been attacking Daesan the entire time. He never told anyone about this incident and never had the chance to apologize; Daesan quickly left Ebius before Garreth could say anything.

After a year of working as a farmer on Ebius, Garreth believed that he had a higher calling. He moved away from his home island and looked for work in the military somewhere on the mainland. He became a city guard after proving himself in the city's arena; later, his experience with fighting promoted him to captain of the guard, which in and of itself was an accomplishment for this young man. However, when Daesan is caught as a mercenary, everything changes for Garreth...

Kalandra Brydevi: Kalandra is Daesan's younger sister. She, like Daesan, was never really accepted into the social norm; however, she did not seem to mind. She preferred to read and become lost in the fantasies of books. However, after Daesan's self-exile from Ebius, Kalandra became more reclusive and closed off than ever before.

Kalandra started to have strange dreams in which she was surrounded by things of death and decay. She never told anyone about this, mostly out of fear and ridicule, but she kept track of everything that had occurred. One night, she was visited in her dream by Zojin, goddess of death and necromancy. She revealed to the girl that she had in her blood latent necromantic power and that she could be of great use to her school--The Ebony Tower. Out of disbelief, Kalandra refused the offer.

During a celebratory feast, a wild hog was brought from the mainland. Kalandra was studying the slab of meat when she saw it began to move. It was impossible, she thought; this was dead meat! But sure enough, the dead hog shakily came back to life and began to run around the island. Those that saw what had happened began to label Kalandra as a witch and a daemonspawn. After running away, Kalandra was once again approached by Zojin (this time in real life) and was offered the opportunity to study with her at the Ebony Tower. With no one else that she could turn to, Kalandra accepted...

***Rhaps, if you would be so kind as to try and do your damndest to move all my stuff from the other folder to here, that would be great! Kthxbai!

And that, gentlemen, is the conclusion of PLOT POINTS Part 1! I hope you enjoyed this segment and will tune in next time when I reveal more details about the state of the world!
Back to top Go down
Rhapsode
Admin
Rhapsode

PostSubject: Re: PLOT POINTS: Part 1   PLOT POINTS: Part 1 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 1:43 pm

Move your stuff over here, eh? I'll do my best!

EDIT:

Done and done. I just moved the whole damn topic over; if you only want pieces of it then take it apart yourself! Sheesh!
Back to top Go down
https://thosedamnedscribes.forumotion.com
High_Inquisitor

High_Inquisitor

PostSubject: Re: PLOT POINTS: Part 1   PLOT POINTS: Part 1 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 8:39 am

And there was much rejoicing (yay).

Thanks! I hope you enjoyed reading what I've got about this intro to the actual plot. This is all pretty much character development at this point, but it's still counting for something!
Back to top Go down
Rhapsode
Admin
Rhapsode

PostSubject: Re: PLOT POINTS: Part 1   PLOT POINTS: Part 1 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 11:52 am

I do like it. You got that YA hook of the main characters being two male rivals and one gifted female (which is always appealing to the kids; probably due to the ease with which one can then concoct "slash" fan fiction). The intro also seems very much taken from Campbell's "The Eternal Hero" motif: young boy descending into darkness to prove his manhood, a journey to find oneself, etc., all good stuff.

Seems like you, sir, have a solid fantasy going!
Back to top Go down
https://thosedamnedscribes.forumotion.com
High_Inquisitor

High_Inquisitor

PostSubject: Re: PLOT POINTS: Part 1   PLOT POINTS: Part 1 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 1:45 pm

The real question is not whether I can plan this thing out, it's whether I'll keep it going come 1/1/11.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PLOT POINTS: Part 1   PLOT POINTS: Part 1 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PLOT POINTS: Part 1
Page 1 of 1