Scribes of the DAMNED!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scribes of the DAMNED!

A forum for a few select writers who mostly work in horror, fantasy, and science fiction.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

High_Inquisitor's WriYe Big Project

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
High_Inquisitor

High_Inquisitor

High_Inquisitor's WriYe Big Project Empty
PostSubject: High_Inquisitor's WriYe Big Project   High_Inquisitor's WriYe Big Project I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 8:28 pm

So...here we are, nearing the end of 2010 and about to dive head-first into 2011. I have signed my life away for the entirety of next year, being a slave to creativity and the whatnot that floats around in my so-called subconscious...for it has taken a life of its own...!

Not really, but still...that'd be pretty damn cool, no?

Anyway, this is going to be a big fantasy epic type novel that spans over some hundreds of pages. Although I'm not expecting much to come out of it, it's nice to have ideas down, is it not?

The World (as High_Inquisitor has created thus far...)

The world of Erondir Itterra is earth-like in design, but conceptually is completely different. Humans for the most part populate the large landmasses, such as the continent of Antaea (the largest, making up nearly half of all the land in Erondir Itterra), but other species of humanoids live on the lands as well. A few dwarven cities are located on the northern mountain ranges of Antaea, but most live in the Carved Cities of the country of Marsevand, located southwest of Antaea. To the far east lies the lust forests of Lithyraea, home of the fabled City of Elves. Some are known to live amongst humans in the far west on the "Twin Islands" of Ibas and Ibus. Even the swamps and marshes of the southern island of Senzymnia are home to those that deal in the sins and sorrows of the general populous. However, to the deep south lie two islands of exile: to the southeast lies the volcanic island of Ursardus, aptly called the Land of the Dead, where those who dabble in black arts and necromancy are sent; in the southwest lies the frozen wastes of Xenosae, where prisoners rot for life working in extremely adverse conditions. However, some believe that there are others that inhabit the island of convicts...something not human, elven, or dwarven...something, as some see it, alien...

My main character (who has yet to be named) is a male human farmer-turned-warrior (of what weapon style is yet to be determined...although input is always welcome) who, after proving himself to his island that he has become a man, finds himself thrust into a world he never knew existed outside of his small farming community--full of adventure, peril, and a danger that threatens everything on the entire world...even the gods themselves...

As of today (12/2/10), I have ten deities created that'll hold the fabrics of this world's religious ideas together...if not the fabric of reality itself.

I'll update when I have more ideas and/or substance to post!
Back to top Go down
Rhapsode
Admin
Rhapsode

PostSubject: Re: High_Inquisitor's WriYe Big Project   High_Inquisitor's WriYe Big Project I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 9:36 pm

Careful with that axe, Eugene! You be wandering far into "been there, done that," territory. Coming up with different names does not a new idea make. Therefore, whatever you call your elves they will still be elfin (same case with dwarfs but they'll be more dwarf-y).

Here's my take on this much trodden fantasy territory:
Tolkien, when he did it (God rest his soul), not only was the concept entirely new, but he was well versed in the whole Nordic mythological cycle that all these creatures, landscapes, scenarios, &c. came from. Now, anyone who's used this formula since is generally just providing us with a watered-down Lord of The Rings.

Not saying you will; that's just the cliff's edge you have to carefully traverse.
Back to top Go down
https://thosedamnedscribes.forumotion.com
High_Inquisitor

High_Inquisitor

PostSubject: Re: High_Inquisitor's WriYe Big Project   High_Inquisitor's WriYe Big Project I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 9:53 pm

The perils involved, though, are not as cliched as Tolkien's "THROW THE DAMN RING INTO THE FIRE BEFORE WE'RE ALL FUCKED!!!" scheme, although it's kind of similar...

To me, in the end someone finds a device that allows for one to transcend humanism and become a fledgling god. Someone(s) has/have been amassing the blood required for the ritual to do so (it takes a helluvalot of blood to turn someone into a god, you know!) and if it comes to fruition, something bad's gonna happen...

Of course, as well, there's other stuff, like maybe some direct godly intervention or something...maybe the gods take physical forms every so often and help out and/or harm the mortals...? I don't recall Tolkien doing that now!

Plus, you've got to start somewhere, right? I mean, if some new concept comes up and completely blows stuff out of the water, then by all means I'm going to incorporate it into the story. I'm not trying to come up with anything groundbreaking yet because the more I try to come up with that unique idea the more frustrated I'll become and the more likely I'm not going to do anything with this in the end. I just want to do something, dammit!
Back to top Go down
Rhapsode
Admin
Rhapsode

PostSubject: Re: High_Inquisitor's WriYe Big Project   High_Inquisitor's WriYe Big Project I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 10:31 pm

True 'nuff. Gotta do somethin'. I like the idea of intervening gods; they always seem so mortal when they do that sort of thing. That would make sense what with mortals being able to become gods in your universe.

Obscure reference time!
Imperial City Arena Announcer: "This could be interesting!"
-Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Back to top Go down
High_Inquisitor

High_Inquisitor

PostSubject: Re: High_Inquisitor's WriYe Big Project   High_Inquisitor's WriYe Big Project I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 8:57 am

I love that game! And the arena! "That orc's got a glass hammer the size of a small child!" Razz

Again, I've got to figure out how it's all gonna work and everything, but if I can pull it off then I'm golden. I've also got to come up with some rules on magic...that's gonna be fun, I think. Something about sapping the life force from mages as they cast a spell, maybe? And don't forget the runestones!
Back to top Go down
High_Inquisitor

High_Inquisitor

PostSubject: Re: High_Inquisitor's WriYe Big Project   High_Inquisitor's WriYe Big Project I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 1:40 pm

So...here I go with getting stuff down for this large-scale story. And I've got the barest of religious ideas down! Here I share them with you!

Religion of Erondir Itterra

Pantheon of the Gods (aka The Unekara)

Pharael (M) – Bringer of Life, Hope, Prosperity, “Father God”

Viewed by many as the One and Only god, especially those in lower social standings. According to the scriptures of the lands, especially in the human-dominated lands of Antaea, there was a goddess of nothing that ruled long before the world was created. But from that nothing sprang hope, and thus Pharael was born. Using the powers that mirrored those of the Nothing Goddess (her name has been lost in time), he created the world and imbued it with all things that life needs to survive. And from this world, it is also said that he created the gods Vyndir, Aebri, Udara, and Ilynn and Zojin. Pharael often comes down as a beggar, trying to find the good in man. To those that offer him gold or compassion, he bestows a blessing of good fortune that soon turns to prosperity.

Vyndir (M) – Lord of the Land, Patron of Farmers and Dwarves

Also is the patron of blacksmiths and craftsmen. When Pharael created the world, he required something for the mortals to live on; from that thought sprung Vyndr, who claimed that he could make both people and land from the Nothing, which he then proceeded to show an amazed Pharael what he could do. Vyndir is seen as either a dwarf (in context of dwarven religion) or as a rugged farmer. When offered a sizable crop, he blesses the land to continue a good harvest.

Aebri (F) – Temptress of the Tempest, the Wilds, and the Hunt

Some revere her as the goddess of chaos and disorder as well. Aebri often comes to the land as either an elven hunter or as some fantastic wild beast. Those that can best her in the hunt will receive her blessing. Also, sailors offer prayers to her in hopes that the wind directs their crafts safely.

Geiden (M) – Bloodied Master, Patron of Might, Battle, and War

Once a mortal man, Geiden showed uncanny prowess with his blade. A fledgling god, envious of his might, challenged him to a duel, believing that his might and newfound divine power would be enough to kill this warrior. He lost, and Geiden took the fledgling’s power for his own, becoming the new god of war. Warriors often pray to Geiden before large battles, and some offer much more than just their words…

Udara (F) – Mistress of the Sea, “Mother God”

Sailors of all races revere and make offers of fish and other aquatic substances to this god. Fishermen also pay homage to her in hopes of taking some of her bounty. Udara tends to be dramatic when she visits the moral realm, often coming down to sailors at sea as a fair-skinned maiden with features that are unbecoming of just a mere mortal.

Aijani (F) – Muse of Muses, Creative Lifestream, The Elven Maiden

Loved by artists and musicians of all races. Aijani is also the patron of the elves, much like Aebri controls the martial aspects of their lives. Aijani rarely visits the mortal realm, preferring to speak through dreams and inspirational thoughts. She has the ability to see the worth and potential of everything, making her somewhat of a diviner among the gods.

Svorni (F) – Cradle of Civilization, Leader of Leaders

Patron of cities, civilization, and charismatic honest leaders. Once also a mortal dwarf, Svorni led a group of dwarves and humans through rugged mountains to find a place to build a new home after their home city was destroyed in a terrible incident. She was instrumental in helping construct a new city for this group of survivors, helping to lead and keep morale up. At the end of construction, Pharael—impressed by her ability to lead and build—offered her a position in the Unekara, which she accepted.

Ilynn (M) – Breather of Mana, Infuser of Magic

Anything that has to do with magic is Ilynn’s responsibility. He is the patron of mages and helped to resolve the massive conflict between the gods and the mages. Eons ago, when magicians were only able to cast magic with help from daemons, Ilynn saw the potential problems that could arise between religion and magic. To help remedy this, he built the City of Mages on the northeastern-most coast of Antaea—not to contain them, but to give them a place to live in peace without fear of persecution. Ilynn is also the twin of Zojin.

Shaejil (M) – He Who Sleeps In the Stars, Keeper of the Flame

Shaejil is the god of the sky and everything in it. At one point, Shaejil was a mortal from a civilization lost to time. According to legend, he was the first to domesticate a flying animal and was also the only one able to ride atop a dragon. Aebri, who had never before seen anyone ride atop a beast such as a dragon, was impressed by Shaejil’s mastery of flight and offered to make him into a god. Sadly, the technology was lost after his civilization was mysteriously wiped out…

Zojin (F) – That Who Crawls Below the Surface, The Pale Maiden

Zojin, the twin sister of Ilynn, is the goddess of death and necromancy. She is a pariah amongst the Unekara, preferring to stay amongst the mortals and study her craft than spend real time as a goddess. Much like Ilynn created the City of Mages, Zojin herself created the Ebony Tower, an academy for those that wish to pursue the arts of necromancy, poison-making, and assassination without prejudice, on the southern island of Ursardas. She herself is the headmistress, preferring not to let mortals “defile” her art, as she calls it.

Daemons

While there are no real deities among the evils on the world, myths of daemons running throughout the world causing chaos and making life miserable for the mortals of Erondir Itterra exist even to the present day. There is no real hierarchy of daemonic status, but a lesser daemon can cause as much destruction and disorder as any other. Some extremely religious fanatics believe that daemons were created long ago by Aebri to give her something to hunt, although proof of such a myth being grounded in truth is questionable at best.

When Pharael turns his back on mankind and the other humanoid races of Erondir Itterra, many claim that daemons have come with the intention of sowing chaos and malicious intent. There have been reports of ancient civilizations being wiped out by a “plague of darkness”, possibly referring to daemonic influence and corruption before killing off everyone. There have been two recorded “Dread Plagues”, as they are common called: the first nearly wiped out the entire world, which was only averted by the intervention of Geiden and Aebri helping mortals hold back the daemons. The second, however, was won with little intervention from the gods because daemonic influence tried to overtake the City of Mages. Knowing their nature, the mages were able to quickly quell the daemonic influence, although not without suffering casualties and causing a rift between necromancers and the rest of the mage hierarchy. This divide caused Zojin to take her followers to Ursardas, where she knew that no other mages would object to their “foul” practices.

The citizens of Erondir Itterra fully believe in the presence of gods and daemons in their everyday lives, but what exactly daemons are made of remains a mystery in and of itself. Some claim that daemons are nothing more than malevolent shades, stalking the night and darkened alleyways of the city; still others believe that they have as much power as the gods themselves and can mimic the forms and powers of those that imbue life to the world.
Back to top Go down
Rhapsode
Admin
Rhapsode

PostSubject: Re: High_Inquisitor's WriYe Big Project   High_Inquisitor's WriYe Big Project I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 12:53 pm

Good God (ha! I make joke!) Yaz, that's a big ol' list. I'll get to scrutinizing it soon and let you know any mind burbles (AKA ideas) that come a galumphing out of my head-holes (you can interpret that as you wish).
Back to top Go down
High_Inquisitor

High_Inquisitor

PostSubject: Re: High_Inquisitor's WriYe Big Project   High_Inquisitor's WriYe Big Project I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 1:07 pm

Although, what I'm about to show you this time has some continuity issues from above, I think I might make the gods/goddesses more according what happens according to...

THE CREATION MYTH/ANCIENT HISTORY OF ERONDIR ITTERRA (ACCORDING TO WHAT THE CHARACTERS KNOW, ANYWAY)

Before Erondir Itterra, there was nothing but a Void. The only thing to inhabit this Void was a forgotten deity of Nothing. Lost in the Void, this god did nothing as the darkness continued to surround and swirl around. However, from this bleak outlook came one small speck of light—one spark of hope—and thus Pharael was born.

Pharael, a fledgling then, was unaware of his power and burst at the seams with divine light, shattering the darkness and the grasp that the Void held over him. When he became aware of what he had been able to do, he was alone; for the Nothing Goddess (as she is called to this day) was reduced to nothing; perhaps, some speculate, she was carried away with the Void, starving some other universe of reality.

Regardless of what became of the Nothing, Pharael was interested to see how he could stretch his new-found power. Gathering what little remained around him, he fashioned a small world which he called his own. Naming it Erondir Itterra (translated into “Where Land Gives Way to Life”), Pharael began to think of what could go onto this planet.

He raised the land with but a thought, and thus mountains and volcanoes were formed. From the highest peaks, however, came another fledgling god. This deity, who called himself Vyndir, began to sculpt the land as he saw fit, but Pharael embraced the creativity of this new companion; as he wondered what Vyndir could accomplish, a slender, pale woman came forth. She introduced herself as Aijani, the Muse of Muses, and would continue to help spark the creativity of not only Pharael but those others that would attempt to create something from nothing.

In thinking, Pharael concluded that there needed to be a contrast to the lands that Vyndir modified. And thus water was created. From that water came another maiden, this one with a slightly-bluish hue to her skin and strangely beautiful scales and fins adorning her arms and legs. She introduced herself as Udara, the Mistress of the Sea, and Pharael became smitten with her. The two would eventually wed, but not before Pharael finished creating his world.

Speaking with Aijani, Pharael believed that the lands could not stay barren forever, and beauty needed to paint the landscapes. Thus the grass began to grow, as did trees and flowers and animals. From the forests came yet another woman, this one with bow in hand. This was Aebri, Temptress of the Tempest, who ruled over the wind and the hunt. With her, however, she had brought a savage beast, the likes of which no one had ever seen before. (This was the ancestor of the dragon; however, this was not known at the time.) It could breathe flame and was resistant to all of their powers. However, Vyndir created a hammer and helped Aebri slay the beast. From the blood that spread across the land rose a man with lightning in his eyes and fire in his hands. This was Ilynn, the Breather of Mana and watcher of magic.

The world had finally been created. In thanks for helping with his creation, Pharael gave Vyndir and Aijani the power to create life on the earth. The Father God shaped a creature of all that was placed on the world—earth, water, fire, wind, wood—and thus the first men and women walked the earth. Vyndir, with hammer in hand, carved the first dwarves from the rocks he helped to create and breathed life into them. While retreating to the woods for reflection, Aijani created the elves, creatures lithe and strong and bound to the woods in which they were created.

The others gave gifts to the new mortals on Erondir Itterra. Udara blessed the oceans with bountiful life and taught those living close to the water how to fish and harvest from the seas. Aebri taught those in the forest how to hunt game for food and other supplies. Ilynn, however, gathered some mortals he deemed “worthy” and shared his blood with them; these became the first mages—able to command the elements and wield a fraction of the power of the gods. However, he knew that the consequences of his actions were dire, and to prevent others from fearing these mages he built the fabled City of Mages—an academic city where magic-users could live in safety without persecution.

As man, elf, and dwarf became accustomed to their new world, the gods were content with just watching and waiting. However, the races began to vie for dominance. In doing so, hatred was born. This led to bloody battles as the races tried to slaughter each other. Death, another new concept, was born, and from the bloodied battlefields came Zojin, the Pale Mistress. From this hatred and death came a new race: the Daemon, which fed off the suffering and blood of the mortal races.

The gods, taking note of this, began to try and convince their respective mortals to face their common foe, but they ignored the gods’ advice and continued to spawn more daemons. Only one mortal, a human named Geiden, took Pharael’s warning seriously. He managed to create a small army that helped to hold back the rise of the Daemons, despite others falling to them. Aebri, impressed with the mortal’s combat skills, aided Geiden in his battle. A particularly strong Daemon (whose name has been forgotten) challenged the mortal to a duel to the death. Geiden accepted and miraculously won. Impressed, Pharael offered Geiden the chance to become a god, which he accepted.

Soon after, the rise of the Daemons was over. In what would later be called the First Dread Plague, nearly all of civilization had been wiped from the planet. However, the races put aside their differences and helped each other rebuild. One particular mortal, a dwarf named Svorni, showed an unnatural gift towards leadership and city building. After helping lead a group of refugees from a destroyed village, she established a new city from the ground up and helped to form a new stable governmental system. She was named the Queen of the city, and ruled for nearly thirty years. On her deathbed, Pharael and Vyndir visited the queen and offered for her to become a goddess, to which she agreed wholeheartedly.

One last mortal has become a god by performing a miraculous feat. A human trickster and con artist, Shaejil, had an affinity for making animals his pets. Aebri, somewhat curious by this mortal, offered him a challenge: if he could tame a great beast, she would make him a god. He accepted and headed for the marshes of Senzymnia, where it was rumored that a great beast made its home. Mustering all of his courage and wit, Shaejil eventually was allowed to touch this great beast, which breathed fire and could crush a small cottage with just a flick of its massive tail. By touching the beast, he was allowed to climb onto its back and ride it. Aebri, as infuriated as she was, could not break her promise, and Pharael transformed Shaejil into the god of the sky and of fire.

And for many millennia, the world remained at peace. The races coexisted peacefully in their separate worlds, and very few bouts of Daemon interference plagued the world. However, this tranquility was not to last.

A group of dark magi, loyal to Zojin, accidentally released a swarm of Daemon that almost consumed the entire City of Mages. It was only with the help of Ilynn that the academic city was able to survive. However, because of this series of events, non-mages believed that these magic-wielding Daemonspawn were a danger to all of Erondir Itterra. Ashamed and infuriated, Ilynn banished those magi responsible to the wastelands of Ursardas, believing that their deaths were just and fair. However, Zojin followed her loyal subjects to Ursardas and watched them all die. She then revived each one and taught to them her secrets of raising the dead. Afterwards, she created the Ebony Tower from the volcanic glass that surrounded the island. This ominous monolith was to be the home of many who wished to learn the dark arts of necromancy or assassination. To this day, Zojin and her original followers teach and live in this tower, waiting for the day when the negative stigma against the dead is finally forgotten. Or, perhaps they prefer the isolation so they may perform their dark rituals in secret.
Back to top Go down
Rhapsode
Admin
Rhapsode

PostSubject: Re: High_Inquisitor's WriYe Big Project   High_Inquisitor's WriYe Big Project I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 7:44 pm

Woah Nelly! I'm starting to see how you could get a year's worth of material out of this. I like your Creation Myth's origins for the gods much more than the initial little descriptions you put up. That first one felt like it was torn from the manual of some role-playing game, whereas the latter felt like you were describing a living, breathing world.

So necromancers are actually dead guys in your world, eh? Makes sense to me!
Back to top Go down
High_Inquisitor

High_Inquisitor

PostSubject: Re: High_Inquisitor's WriYe Big Project   High_Inquisitor's WriYe Big Project I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 6:21 am

Well, the original necromancers at least were undead...I was planning on having a necromancer escape the Ebony Tower and want to do some "field research" around the world--i.e. raising the dead and modifying different aspects to try and create the "Ultimate Undead Being" (for the time being, I'm calling it the UUB). And if he/she happens to be living, then great. But what happens if they're already dead...?

But anyway, I'm glad that the creation myth/brief history worked out better than the blurbs. I needed to start somewhere, though!
Back to top Go down
Rhapsode
Admin
Rhapsode

PostSubject: Re: High_Inquisitor's WriYe Big Project   High_Inquisitor's WriYe Big Project I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 10:49 am

True that! Motivational high-five!
Back to top Go down
High_Inquisitor

High_Inquisitor

PostSubject: Re: High_Inquisitor's WriYe Big Project   High_Inquisitor's WriYe Big Project I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 12:04 pm

By the way, feel free to add any other ideas you may have to this as well! I can take this idea a long way, but eventually I may need something to help perpetuate it forward. I'm currently working on the rules of magic in the realm, but so far it's kind of coming up a bit dry...oh well! I'm still working on something, though!
Back to top Go down
Rhapsode
Admin
Rhapsode

PostSubject: Re: High_Inquisitor's WriYe Big Project   High_Inquisitor's WriYe Big Project I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 4:32 pm

Well, if this ain't just the damnedest coincidence: I'm currently brushing up my own knowledge on the ol' thaumaturgical arts. Post what you have so far and I'll give you the breadth of what I've learned and how you can use it.
Back to top Go down
High_Inquisitor

High_Inquisitor

PostSubject: Re: High_Inquisitor's WriYe Big Project   High_Inquisitor's WriYe Big Project I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 5:36 pm

...I think I'm just going to make this a separate category on the forum this weekend, seeing as it's kind of...you know, getting long and somewhat full...

Regardless, I've been working on a character sheet for my main character! I can give you the bare basics of who he is...

Name: Daesan Brydevi
Age: 21 (although I'm thinking the first part will be when he's actually 17 or so...some major character development at 17 for this young man!)
Race: Human, male
Family: Father (Gendrick), farmer/fisherman; Mother (Nadine), farmer/mother; Kalandra (Kali), younger sister
A bit of background: Daesan was born on Ebius Island, a small island about 50 miles off the coast of the mainland of Antaea. It is a farming and fishing community and everyone gets along peacefully. However, males that are ready to come of age must take on the Gauntlet: a challenge involving traversing a labyrinthine-cavern system and learning about onesself while underground. While down there, however, Daesan's friend and rival Garreth challenges him to a duel and wins. The elder of the island, having followed the boys down to make sure that everyone came out alive in the end, decided that Garreth had found his calling in the military; Daesan, on the other hand, was promptly exiled from the island on a "quest for self-realization"--in all actuality, though, many thought that Daesan was more skilled of a swordsman than he gave himself credit for, but would often refuse to kill his opponents if forced to do so. And so, by age 21 Daesan had established a reputation as a mercenary in the lands of Antaea, offering his services to those who paid the highest amount of coin...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: High_Inquisitor's WriYe Big Project   High_Inquisitor's WriYe Big Project I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

High_Inquisitor's WriYe Big Project
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Scribes of the DAMNED! :: The Thinkery :: High_Inquisitor's WriYe Big Project-
Jump to: