Scribes of the DAMNED!

A forum for a few select writers who mostly work in horror, fantasy, and science fiction.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

So...What Now?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
High_Inquisitor

PostSubject: So...What Now?   Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:49 pm

So...now that NaNo is almost over and my subconscious is going to help me finish my novel, I'm kind of scared...at least, about the dream stuffs. What's gonna happen with my subconscious? Is it/she going to go ape-shit crazy and start killing me in my head once again? Or will it/she just kind of fizzle out and kind of...just die out?

I'm terrified for either result...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhapsode
Admin

PostSubject: Re: So...What Now?   Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:39 pm

Whatever happens, whether it be your personified subconscious slaying you while you slumber one portentous night, or even something as light hearted as a shotgun rampage at Chuck E. Cheese at least one thing's for certain: boy, you got yourself a book!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thosedamnedscribes.forumotion.com
High_Inquisitor

PostSubject: Re: So...What Now?   Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:57 am

Not yet I don't, but I'm an official winner now!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Raduvad

PostSubject: Re: So...What Now?   Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:55 am

A note on the subconscious in relation to writers: Many authors seem to imagine their inspiration/ muse/ etc. as a nearly tangible thing, a living typewriter or an angel over their shoulder. Author Anne Lamott (or maybe it was a friend of hers) imagines a Dr. Suess inspired creation, all red and white stripes and large hands, peeking from beneath a trapdoor near her computer to reach up that long, banded arm and supply and idea.
I have two things to say about this phenomenon.
1.) Apparently, though I write speculative fiction, I'm not creative enough to have my own dreamy muse (mores the pity I suppose)
2.) That cat and the hat thing would scare the living shit out of me. I don't think I'd ever type again. Evil Dead vs. the Grinch or something. Damn!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.JamesVanEaton.com
High_Inquisitor

PostSubject: Re: So...What Now?   Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:07 am

Of course Dr. Suess would scare the sh!t out of anyone! I mean, it's like an acid trip or something!

Lately (and by this I mean over the past few days) there really hasn't been anything extremely unusual going on...I mean, I still have part of the novel to write, but I figure I can get that done during December or something. Regardless of how much I still have left to write, though, you'd think it'd/she'd give me a heads-up or something...or just kill me again.

And yes, that is a Quagsire, the best damn water pokemon EVAR!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhapsode
Admin

PostSubject: Re: So...What Now?   Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:40 pm

I was wondering about that. Good to know. I've always been a Nidoking man myself.
Back to top Go down
High_Inquisitor

PostSubject: Re: So...What Now?   Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:50 am

Regardless of which pokemon I choose to make my avatar, I still have this problem on my hands.

This whole thing has got me thinking of what my dreams were really about: what the hell were they really about? Now that NaNo is over, I haven't really been coming up with anything good to share with anyone, and all the dream sequences I've put into that large mangled mish-mash of words were originally mine (YOU'RE WELCOME, RHAPS!). HOWEVER, was the purpose of all those months of self-torture and sleepless nights really to get me thinking about this year's NaNo? I'm at a loss for what it could be.

Then again, the more I worry about this, the less likely I will be able to remember everything that's happened in the always-satisfying (at least to Rhaps) dream world of this humble Inquisitor...so therein lies the question...

Do I continue to ponder what my dreams mean and why I've been having them for so long only for them to finally have run their course and die out now, or do I ignore those questions in the hopes of one day having them return to me and kill me over and over again for your (Rhaps') amusement?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhapsode
Admin

PostSubject: Re: So...What Now?   Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:38 pm

I feel for some inexplicable reason that your post was aimed at me.

My own thoughts on the matter are that one's dreams are entirely up to oneself to define (one). Here's an instance:

Last night I dreamed I was at my old church. Scott, my cousin and bestest friend in the whole wide world, was there. Him and I experimented with leaving our bodies via OBE. He noticed that when we did so, we were encased in a soft golden glow. I thought that this was evidence of us having spirits, being that our corporeal forms never exhibited such a sheen. He found this hard to swallow, being that he didn't believe in the soul (despite the fact that we were currently using them to float around the ceiling).

Now, this segment of the dream could have had several meanings. The one that immediately comes to mind is that the morning before having said dream, I had talked to Scott about a new lucidity technique I had developed, where I could leap into dream characters' bodies and inhabit them at will; guiding them as gently or forcefully as I wished. This would mean that the dream was inspired by a conversation I had, as well as the recent experience of having been with my cousin. Now, the rest of that dream was not inspired by recent events, having involved people and situations that I have not been exposed to for quite a length of time. Why is it that they suddenly appeared in my nocturnal ramblings?

I suppose this is getting to the real purpose of dreams; the question you specifically asked and I'm struggling to answer. The best surmising I can give is that dreams, for the most part, are brought forth from our experiences and the way we think about things in general; our personalities, if you will. If your question is where this specific chain of dreams came from, then you can look to your memories, and your opinions on anything and everything, to get somewhat of a grasp on their ethereal origin.

I think your question may be, "Were these dreams different somehow? Could it be that they came from something apart from my mind, the usual source of such things?" Aye, perhaps. I firmly believe that there's more to this world than what we can physically measure of it. Our individualized sense of consciousness is a testament to that; who can systemise it? So, could it be that this recent spat of dreams you had, these specific thoughts and images, were plunged into your mind from out of the strange depths and aeons of the immaterial? Perhaps. Only one way to find out: go to those strange depths and aeons and have a poke about them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So...What Now?   

Back to top Go down

So...What Now?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Scribes of the DAMNED! :: Pages of the Scribes :: High_Inquisitor's Musings of Insanity (Dream Journal)-
Jump to: